While the UK is in the grip of winter, we can’t help but daydream of sunnier climes in Cannes. It’s an ambitious thought considering Cannes has been experiencing snowstorms and lows of -3, but we’re pleased to report that the weather forecast is looking distinctly brighter and warmer going into next weekend.
Our MIPIM packing guide often attracts a lot of readers and interest, which isn’t surprising given you probably have limited space and many scenarios to cater for.
Whether you’re opting for carry on or hold, we’ve got your back, with tips and advice on what to pack for the biggest conference in the property calendar.
- Your business cards. Do something different and go for an embossed design or luxe card material. It’s often the smallest things that provide a talking point.
- Flat shoes! We’ve seen enough shoe victims to really stress this point, as you do not want to be caught out blistered, sore and limping along the You can change into your fancy footwear once you hit your destination.
- Layers, lots of layers. As we’ve learned this week, the weather can be unpredictable so pack for rain and sun.
- And on that note, you also want to look and feel If you’re meeting with a top business target, you’ll want to exude confidence, so pack your smartest clothes.
- Sunglasses (not just for selfies) and umbrellas (not just for sunbathing)
- An assortment of medication; stock up on plasters, painkillers and medicine at the airport so you don’t get caught out with a bad headache or by dodgy mussels.
- Tech – headphones for when you’re on the move calling back home, and portable chargers for when you’re between meetings and running low on battery.
And if you can spare the time, here’s what to bring back with you:
- Check out the local pharmacies – they’re a treasure trove of delights and filled to the brim with brands cheaper than back home. We recommend Caudalie, Nuxe, and La Roche-Posay.
- Explore Marché Forville, a local food market with an array of delicious cheeses.
- Most importantly of all: lots of new contacts. Remember to note down who you met with and what you talked about. MIPIM’s only worth the investment if you do the follow up back home.
And if you do find yourself caught out at MIPIM then look out for our team who will be hand with our ‘in case of an emergency’ tins.
In just over a month, the most influential players from across the property industry will arrive en masse for an action packed four days of networking, learning, and fun.
As one of the industry’s most celebrated (and famous) events, being new to the party can be daunting. If that’s you, then fear not as we have called on our MIPIM friends who know the tips and tricks for making it through what will be one of the best weeks of your working year:
- Shoes, and plenty of them. Bring your smart shoes, fancy shoes, and summer shoes – but make sure they’re all comfy ones. Blisters aren’t a good look, especially when accompanied by tears.
- Leave room for spontaneity and chance encounters. It’s where the magic happens.
- Come rain or shine, you’ll want to be prepared. We all hope (optimistically) for wall-to-wall sunshine in Cannes, but experience has taught us better than to forget our umbrellas.
- Embrace wellness and start the day with a run or an early morning yoga session. You won’t feel so bad when you’re sipping that glass of rosé later.
- Protect yourself with lip balm and sunscreen by picking up one of our MIPIM survival tins. Lobsters are strictly for eating.
- Check out MIPIM’s dedicated ‘first timers’ There’s complimentary breakfast and lunch, concierge, networking sessions with MIPIM pioneers, and a mysterious ‘welcome gift’!
- Check out the conference programme and make the most of being there. MIPIM has organised a fantastic line-up this year centred around urban life in the future. Expect debate, trends and insights from those leading the charge worldwide.
MIPIM is a significant investment so it’s important to get involved and make the most of it. We’ll be bringing you tips and tricks of the trade over the coming weeks. Whether you’re a seasoned expert or newcomer, there’ll be something for everyone.
Thank you to our contributors for their top tips. Read the full list below and let us know if you have any others to add!
We’re only three weeks into the year but MIPIM is already firmly in our sights.
Hopefully your flights and accommodation are booked, and you can now focus on the real purpose of your visit. We’ll be sharing some tips on making the most of MIPIM in our next blog, but before that we want to draw your attention to the industry’s famous pre-Cannes warm-up, MIPIM Yes Oui Cannes.
On Wednesday 28 February, key players in the property industry will come together to network and generate new business leads before heading to Cannes. Hosted and organised by our friend Derry Long, it’s a great opportunity to brush up on your networking skills and meet some friendly faces before the main event. And if that’s not convincing enough, all proceeds raised by ticket fees will be donated to the construction industry’s charity of voice, CRASH.
Tickets are selling quickly so we recommend booking sooner rather than later.
See you there!
Our good friends over at London at MIPIM have coined a new saying: FOMM (Fear of Missing MIPIM) and we couldn’t agree more. With a new website, theme and session formats, there is plenty to get excited about as we ramp up to MIPIM 2017.
Here’s what you need to know:
The theme for 2017 is ‘A New Deal for Real Estate’, which addresses the impact of the geo-political and economic challenges facing the real estate industry today and creating new sources of growth. According to the MIPIM website, this means stakeholders need to adapt and rethink their strategies by collaborating with new players and creating new forms of business.
This marks a forward-looking theme after a somewhat tumultuous year, with a focus on collaboration, partnership and welcoming new players to the industry. It’s a yes from us.
New and improved sessions
As well as the usual events and networking parties, a series of new sessions have also been announced. These include: the predictive scenario, in which three different scenarios on a current issue are presented by an expert and/or CEO to the audience; the masterclass, a lecture by a leading player in the industry on a topic related to their area of expertise so the audience can pick up some useful tips along the way; and finally, the creative workshop – interactive sessions for delegates to apply design techniques and frameworks to generate their own ideas and watch them come to life.
So now we have a taste of the new look MIPIM, what next? With 23,000 delegates from across 90 countries, 2,600 exhibitors, and more than 100 conferences, we think this will be the best year yet, and one you definitely don’t want to miss. We certainly won’t!
Yes – the 15th September is an important day. With six months to go before MIPIM 2016, the countdown has begun. Contacts are being refreshed, LinkedIn profiles brushed up and restaurants booked, all set for a productive time in March next year.
Here at Holistic we have been going to MIPIM for more than a decade, in great times and leaner years alike. It’s one of the highlights of our calendar and, despite being miles from home, it’s a great barometer of the market and a chance to catch up with many of our longstanding contacts as well as meeting new people who share our love of property.
So, as excitement begins to brew, back by popular demand is our blog. Over the next few months, and more frequently as we get closer to the main event, we’ll be posting some tips and advice for delegates on making the most of their time in Cannes. From a strategic overview to the all-important detail of French phrases and packing checklists we want to make sure that the investment you’ll be putting in pays off.
Take a look – when you get a moment – and let us know what you think.